Sign in / Join
2005

Sean Hannity has a breakdown after his “Media Excellence” award is revoked

Sean Hannity seemed genuinely stoked earlier this month when he heard that he won the William F. Buckley Award for Media Excellence, an honor presented by conservative group Media Research Center.

But now that CNN is reporting that Hannity was disinvited from the award ceremony after William F. Buckley’s son expressed dismay over the chosen recipient, the Fox News host is claiming that he turned down the award due to a scheduling conflict.

Hey Fake News Jake, I was offered an award, I was unable to attend, and I respectfully turned it down. https://t.co/z69QXiW7AZ

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 21, 2017

CNN’s Jake Tapper reported Friday that Christopher Buckley called the Media Research Center to voice his disapproval with Hannity winning the award.

William F. Buckley, the namesake of the award, was the founder of National Review, an intellectual conservative magazine that, to this day, has tried to distance itself from the conservatism promoted on right-wing outlets such as Fox News and Breitbart. Conservative writers like Bret Stephens lambasted the Media Research Center’s decision to award a political commentator such as Hannity, who has all but abandoned his conservative principles in his vigorous defense of President Donald Trump.

CNN reported that the Media Research Center allowed Hannity to save face by saying that a scheduling conflict led to his name being removed from the gala’s itinerary.

Christopher Buckley laughed at the excuse in a statement to CNN.

“Perhaps Mr. Hannity has been offered the Ronald Reagan Great Communicator Award on the same evening and had decided to leverage upwards,” he joked.

Hannity took to Twitter Friday to push his scheduling-conflict excuse. He also attacked CNN for reporting the story.

If @NRO "Never Trumpers" or WFB’s son were upset about me receiving the award, they never told me. Now I’m really glad I said "No thanks" https://t.co/33BFWgnlEj

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 21, 2017

Fact; "Awards" are BS ways to raise $. The only "Award" I care about is serving my audience, the support of my audience, and saving the USA https://t.co/YcYJTeSUto

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 21, 2017

Chris Buckley (NO WFB) needs to speak out about how @NRO has readers pay for free cruise "vacations". Thank God for Conservative Review.

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 21, 2017

No idea, I never spoke to Chris a single time. I was going to humbly accept it, but I ran into a conflict and declined. @NRO is NEVER TRUMP! https://t.co/xYaAuvr80O

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 21, 2017

A) You are a liberal hack and not a journalist. B) @NRO is "never trump" like you. C) Chris Buckley never called me. D) I declined-conflict https://t.co/HbURUJJXsN

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 21, 2017

While Hannity pretends he never truly cared about the honor in the first place, anonymous Twitter personality Kilgore Trout noted that the Fox News host gave a mini-acceptance speech after the award was announced.

For the first time in my life I partly agree with @BretStephensNYT I do not deserve the WFB award. I also never deserved the 2 Marconis…..

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 7, 2017

Nor do I deserve the Radio Hall of Fame, Free speech awards from Talkers or the R&R tall host of the year awards I have won. Nor do I care

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 7, 2017

To my audience that has given me the honor of 30 years on radio 22 years on Fox, I thank you. You mattter, Faith, family Country matter

— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) July 7, 2017